It has come to our attention that fraudsters are hacking solicitors’ internet security systems and contacting clients sometimes by phone and more commonly by email holding themselves out to be the solicitor or a member of the solicitor’s staff and asking for payments “to be made to the solicitors account”, which is in fact the fraudster’s bank account.
In some cases telephone numbers are provided for verification – these will in such cases be the telephone numbers of the criminals.
To avoid being a victim of this fraud please note the following:-
- Check the email address of the party sending you an email requesting funds – our emails are always (name)@neilsons.co.uk. In some cases fraudsters may use the familiar name of the person in the firm you have been dealing with but the rest of the email address will be false.
- Note that even if the email address is correct, there have been cases where the correct email address has itself been hacked so do not assume that the email is genuine because the email is the correct address – all you can assume is that if the email address is wrong the email is an attempted fraud.
- Check the phone number of the person who has been in contact with you – the correct number is displayed below and on our secured website www.neilsons.co.uk
- To be safe with any payments you want to make, pay by cheque at least four working days before the due date
- Alternatively you can call the relevant Neilsons Office (at the verified number!) to confirm the Bank details and then send £1 as a test payment prior to making the full payment – after someone you have been dealing with at Neilsons verifies receipt of the £1 payment.
- We bank with Clydesdale Bank and will not change our account from this Bank – any request to pay to us at another Bank is fraudulent.
- Change your computer, email and other account passwords regularly.
If you are unsure of any email or call received reporting to be from Neilsons urging you to complete an action, do give us a call to discuss the contents of the email on 0131 316 4444 (Head Office) 0131 556 5522 (Picardy Place), 0131 331 4009 (South Queensferry) or 0131 625 2222 (Property Department) so that we can verify the content.