Neilsons Solicitors offer various legal and Estate Agency services to the public.
We use some legitimate third parties to assist you with your service e.g. surveyors, professional photographers, For Sale board companies and professional bodies like Registers of Scotland, the Scottish Court System and others but they are only allowed to use the information in line to complete your service for the intended purposes.
We have to hold the details of the people who have requested the service in order to provide it. However, we only use these details to provide the service the person has requested and for other closely related purposes. When people do subscribe to other general updates e.g. our mailing list, they can cancel their subscription at any time and are given an easy way of doing this.
Performance of a contract
The processing is necessary for a contract you have with us, or because you have asked us to take specific steps before entering into a contract.
The processing is necessary for you and us to comply with the law (not including contractual obligations).
The processing is necessary for your or our legitimate interests.
- it is processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner in relation to the data subject (‘lawfulness, fairness and transparency’)
- it is collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes (‘purpose limitation’)
- it is all adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed (‘data minimisation’)
- it is all accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date and that reasonable steps will be taken to ensure that personal data that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay (‘accuracy’)
- it is kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed (‘storage limitation’)
- it is processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisational measures (‘integrity and confidentiality’)
Neilsons Solicitors will facilitate any request from a data subject who wishes to exercise their rights under data protection law as appropriate, always communicating in a concise, transparent, intelligible and easily accessible form and without undue delay.
Our website is maintained and managed by Jenna Spence, Operations Director at the firm and our web developer ESPC Design. We endeavor to ensure our website is up to date at all times and will rectify any unintentional errors as soon as possible. Should you have any queries relating to the website, feel free to contact Jenna Spence via email@example.com or by telephone on 0131 625 2222.
For people that request they are added to our matching service to be matched to relevant properties that match their criteria, we use BDP Software for this. Details are kept secure at all times and those on the matching service have a clear way to unsubscribe.
If you send us a private or direct message via social media the message will be stored by the social media site for the attention of Neilsons’ social media team which comprises of three members of staff. It will not be shared with any other organisations.
Messages sent to us directly via social media are kept for a reasonable time period in order for us to assist with your enquiry, after which they are deleted following a period of 3-month inactivity.
Neilsons are not liable for the content or personal data included in any reviews left against the organisation on social media e.g. Facebook or Google left by an individual user of these platforms.
We reserve the right to challenge or refute any allegations made against us on these platforms.
If you submit any explicit or inappropriate content on our social media sites you will be reported to the applicable platform and banned from the page.
We endeavor to reply to all emails as soon as possible. If you have any queries relating an email you have sent us, do not hesitate to contact us to discuss further.
If after investigation by the Client Relations Partner you are still not satisfied, you are at liberty to refer the matter to The Scottish Legal Complaints Commission (SLCC) who are the single gateway for all legal complaints in Scotland. Visit the SLCC website: https://www.scottishlegalcomplaints.org.uk/.
The SLCC can be contacted at the following address and you can make a complaint online here: https://www.scottishlegalcomplaints.org.uk/contact-us/
Scottish Legal Complaints Commission
12-13 St Andrew Square
Phone: 0131 201 2130
Fax: 0131 201 2131
If you are not happy with our response to a complaint made about your personal data, you are also entitled to submit a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Tel: 0303 123 1115.
We will only use the personal information we collect to process the complaint and to check on the level of service we provide.
We usually have to disclose the complainant’s identity to whoever the complaint is about. This is inevitable where, for example, the accuracy of a person’s record or a transaction is in dispute. If a complainant doesn’t want information identifying him or her to be disclosed, we will try to respect that as much as possible. However, it may not be possible to fully handle a complaint on an anonymous basis.
We will keep personal information contained in complaint files in line with our retention policy. This means that information relating to a complaint will be retained from closure. It will be retained in a secure environment and access to it will be restricted according to the ‘need to know’ principle.
Similarly, where enquiries are submitted to us we will only use the information supplied to us to deal with the enquiry and any subsequent issues and to check on the level of service we provide.
We have a legitimate interest in collecting your data (names, email address, telephone number) if you show an interest in one of our properties for sale and wish to view it as we are instructed by our client to sell and market their property professionally. For health and safety purposes, we also must know who is attending our clients’ private properties. By providing us with your email address and telephone number, we are able to log your details on our system and keep you up to date on the property e.g. if it goes to a closing date or there is a price change. This is highly recommended in today’s fast-moving market. We will also retain your data on our system so that if you request any details from any future properties listed with us, we have your details already. We will pass your name, email address and contact telephone number to sellers and viewing agents in relation to any viewings or interest you confirm. If you provide feedback or informal Offers to us then Neilsons and our client(s) should they so wish – have the right to reply to you. Please be advised that Neilsons are duty bound by law to keep clients up to date with all feedback, Offers and interest. We will endeavor to only use your personal data to keep you up to date with any property or properties you show interest in and if you wish to be removed from the system just let us know. You have the option of withdrawing your details from us at any time, please just let us know.
- Access to personal data: You have a right to request information about the personal information that we hold about you. Should you wish to make such a request, please email us.You should include adequate information to identify yourself and such other relevant information that will reasonably assist us in fulfilling your request.
- Correction of personal data: You can request us to rectify and correct any personal data that we are processing about you which is incorrect.
- Right to withdraw consent: Where we have relied upon your consent to process your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent. To opt out of marketing, you can use the unsubscribe link found in the marketing communication you receive from us.
- Right of erasure: You can request us to erase your personal data where there is no legitimate interest for us to continue processing. This right only applies in certain circumstances, it is not a guaranteed or absolute right.
- Right to data portability: This right allows you to obtain your personal data that you have provided to us with your consent or which was necessary for us to provide you with our products and services in a format which enables you to transfer that personal data to another organisation. You may have the right to have your personal data transferred by us directly to the other organisation, if this is technically feasible.
- Right to restrict processing of personal data: You have the right in certain circumstances to request that we restrict our processing of your personal data.
- Right to object to processing of personal data: You have the right to object to our use of your personal data which is processed on the basis of our legitimate interests. However, we may continue to process your personal data, despite your objection, where there are compelling legitimate grounds to do so or we need to process your personal data in connection with any legal claims.
- Rights relating to automated decision making and profiling: You have the right not to be subject to a decision which is based solely on automated processing (without human involvement) where that decision produces a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you. This right means you can request that we involve one of our employees or representatives in the decision-making process. We are satisfied that we do not make automated decisions of this nature.
Our technological security solutions are very advanced too. Our approach is focused on preventing risks given the current high risks of fraud facing law firms.
As the security of some communications via the internet is not secure, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you disclose using your internet connection to Neilsons via any method of transfer. You accept the inherent security implications of using the internet and the Firm will accept no liability for any direct, consequential, incidental, indirect, or punitive losses or damages arising out of such an occurrence.